In order to efficiently make strategic decisions, it is imperative to be armed with accurate, comprehensive information. In the digital advertising space, this is even more important, as the ecosystem evolves at an unprecedented pace. New formats are emerging, new trends are impacting the day-to-day of our businesses, and the exponential growth is expected to continue for years to come.
Digital advertising almost single-handedly drove the expansion in total media ad spend around the globe this year. Mobile monetisation – particularly in-app and video – have gained traction and are likely to keep that momentum going into 2019 as consumer behaviour evolves and header bidding technology extends beyond web display.
Additionally, brand advertiser demand for greater transparency and protection against fraud should remain strong next year. Ensuring inventory and ad quality will be key to maintain the flow of advertising budgets into digital media.
Embracing the advertising opportunities lying ahead will require reliable data. To that end, PubMatic have put together the 2019 Global Digital Ad Trends guide with essential ad spend forecasts. As you head into 2019 and hone your advertising strategies for the new year, here’s what you need to know:
- Digital is expected to grow to represent over half of all US media ad spend for the first time next year and is projected to approach a two-third share by 2022.
- Programmatic is projected to represent over two-thirds of all digital display ad spend worldwide in 2019. The US is the world’s largest programmatic market but Indonesia will experience the fastest growth, nearly doubling YOY in 2019.
- The mobile advertising market will exceed $200 billion globally next year, with apps representing the lion’s share of ad spend.
- The video advertising market will grow to $37 billion in 2019, with mobile exceedingly becoming the platform of choice.
- Private marketplaces (PMPs) will grow to represent the majority of programmatic digital display ad spend by 2020.
- As header bidding adoption increases, much of the growth is coming from mobile app inventory.
From this report, you can answer the following questions:
- Which media types anticipate growth in 2019 and should be featured in media plans?
- Where are the greatest changes in mobile ad spend expected so you can invest wisely in the coming year?
- What are key differences between mobile web and in-app so you can hone your strategies appropriately?
- How can you develop effective creative for the growth of video and for which platforms?
- Is a PMP-forward strategy, with the goal of gaining more transactional control, a tactic other marketers are choosing?
- What are roadblocks to greater in-app header bidding adoption so you can address them?
For all of the trends, statistics, and insights, download the full guide.