Yieldmo, the leading design-driven premium mobile advertising provider, announced the results of an in-depth research study—entitled Answering the Call for Better Mobile Advertising Experiences—aimed at understanding how better-designed mobile ad formats impact consumers, brand advertisers and publishers.
The study, which was executed by independent usability research firm Applause, surveyed nearly 400 U.S. consumers on their perceptions around standard mobile ad formats (i.e., interstitial/pop-up, pre-roll video, static 300×250 and adhesion banner formats) and the effect of more innovative, better-designed mobile ad formats. The study also assessed unaided brand recall, advertiser and publisher brand favorability and purchase intent.
Specifically, the study found the following:
- Two-Thirds of Consumers Prefer Better-Designed Mobile Ad Experiences and Find the Current State of Mobile Ads to Be Frustrating, Disruptive and Boring: 66% of consumers preferred Yieldmo’s mobile-specific ad formats over standard mobile formats. Further, standard, non-Yieldmo mobile formats were found to be far more frustrating, disruptive and annoying (interstitial and pre-roll video formats), as well as boring and uninteresting (static 300×250 and adhesion banners).
- User-Friendly Mobile Ads Drive Higher Unaided Advertiser Brand Recall: The majority of respondents (63%) who saw the Yieldmo mobile ad formats correctly recalled the advertiser brand in an unaided test, compared to only 48% who correctly recalled the advertiser brand after seeing standard, non-Yieldmo ads.
- The Common Static 300×250 Mobile Ad is Also the Most Forgettable: An overwhelming 86% of respondents who saw the static 300×250 ad incorrectly recalled the advertiser brand, making it the worst performing format in terms of unaided brand recall.
- Preferred Mobile Ads Produce Higher Advertiser Brand Favourability: Fourth-fifths of respondents (79%) found the advertiser brand favourable after seeing a Yieldmo ad, compared to only 63% who found the advertiser brand favourable after seeing a standard, non-Yieldmo ad format.
- Publishers Can Also Garner Higher Brand Favourability with Better-Designed Mobile Ad Experiences: Perceptions of publishers increased for 22% of consumers as a result of seeing a Yieldmo ad, compared to only 11% of consumers who could say the same after seeing a standard, non-Yieldmo ad format.
Ensuring the quality of mobile content experiences is critical as ever for both publishers and advertisers. According to recent mobile ad spend forecasts, mobile is expected to represent 64% of total digital ad spend in the U.S. in 2016, increasing to 77% by 2020.
As digital dollars continue to shift to mobile, publishers and advertisers need to take heed of growing ad blocking adoption rates (research by the IAB estimates that up to 15% of U.S. consumers use mobile ad blockers), which is a response primarily to poor mobile advertising experiences. Recognizing the need for change, leading industry organizations such as Google and the IAB have recently announced very public initiatives toward creating better mobile advertising experience.
“This study confirms something that we’ve believed for over four years now—that the majority of mobile ads are not only frustrating, disruptive, and boring to consumers, but also not as effective for advertiser brands in terms of brand awareness and favourability as well as purchase intent,” said Mike Yavonditte, Yieldmo co-founder and CEO. “Yieldmo, along with Google, the IAB and many leading advertisers and publishers, are developing better mobile experiences that are faster-loading, more interactive and designed specifically for mobile. This research is definitive proof as to why those efforts are so important.”
The full research study can be downloaded on Yieldmo’s website.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login