Gatwick’s new app – one of several passenger-facing digital innovations coming on stream soon – offers passengers personalised flight alerts, real-time queue updates for check-in and security, intuitive navigation using beacon technology and shopping, restaurant and airport offers.
Other initiatives going live soon in Gatwick’s ‘digital transformation’ programme include advanced chat bots, augmented reality way-finding and the airport-wide use of the Internet of Things.
The new app means that holidaymakers and business travellers can enjoy a more seamless experience when travelling through Gatwick as it boasts a range of features including:
- Personalised flight information – real-time updates onflight status and gate information straight to your mobile
- Real-time queue updates – for check-in and security to plan your time at the airport
- Intuitive maps – guiding passengers through the airport using 2,000 navigation beacons located throughout terminal buildings
- Shopping and eating offers – specific to your terminal and instantly redeemable from your phone
Personalised flight information pushed to your phone includes boarding status and gate access, which means passengers can enjoy their time at the airport without having to hunt for flight information screens.
Our new passenger app has landed in the Google Play and App Store! ✈ 📱 Full of money-saving offers and real-time queue updates to help you travel relaxed. https://t.co/MgpMwi8L3S pic.twitter.com/ltMQ1Bwf56
— Gatwick Airport LGW (@Gatwick_Airport) December 7, 2017
The free app is a one-stop shop for all things Gatwick with benefits extending beyond use in the terminal buildings, including:
- Real-time road and rail travel information
- Ability to book Official Gatwick Parking, Premium Security or Premium Passport Control
- A handy ‘Where’s my car?’ feature so those using Gatwick’s on-site car parks can easily store their parking location for a hassle-free return journey
- ‘Which Terminal’ to get you to the right location for your flight
- Passenger pick-up and drop-off information, ideal for those meeting friends and family on an inbound flight
- Information on services across the airport including baby changing, charging points, hotels and lounges
- Easy access to information for passengers requiring special assistance services or those with hidden disabilities
Guy Stephenson, Chief Commercial Officer, Gatwick Airport, said: “Airports can be confusing spaces and Gatwick’s new app is designed to help our passengers make the most of their time at the airport. We believe we have improved on the best airport apps in the market, with the combination of personalised flight information, live queue times and our new beacon technology which helps people navigate seamlessly through the airport.”
Cathal Corcoran, Chief Information Officer, Gatwick Airport, said: “Our new app is just one of many exciting digital initiatives that our award-winning digital team is developing. We are transforming the way airport information is communicated and will soon connect passengers to intelligent chat bots using Facebook Messenger, Skype, and other popular apps. The airport’s 2000 way-finding beacons are also a world first and have the capability to enable augmented reality way-finding for passengers, making it easier to navigate the airport’s two terminal buildings.”
Source: Gatwick Airport